Friday, February 17, 2012

5 - Week - PROGRESS, PROGRESS, PROGRESS

First off, here is my revised schedule. It's generally the same, but I pushed some things forward so that I'm not working through the "presentation refinement" time allotment. Things are about to get busy busy busy! My goal is to push the book out rather quickly, created the second artifact based on the information and outcome of the book, and then make them into one cohesive design, so that they act as complements to each other. Very exciting stuff. What's also exciting is...



The beginnings of the book! I've pretty much completed going through all the materials that I'm going to be basing my project on. I've pulled from lots of books and resources sent by the Kindergarten team at Prairie Trail Elementary, as well as a few online resources to help supplement certain areas touched on, but not necessarily fleshed out in the teacher-given, more legitimate materials. First, I went through everything, and began arranging it into different categories that I might use in the book:

The reorganization of all this information was extremely beneficial, as it allowed me to break down the categories and assess how much content I actually had for each one. It also gave me a more in depth knowledge of what each category was about. Initially, I had seven total categories, like this:
 But, after mapping everything out, and accounting for areas where there was a significant amount of overlap, I've decided to pair several of the categories into compound categories instead. Social Studies and Social Development were very similar, and can easily be bridged into one-another. Math and science skills, while somewhat different from each other, both have an overlying theme of categorization and observation. Moving forward, I will be using these five categories (but not these colors! they're still left over from the very beginning!).

With all of that out of the way, it's time to start putting everything together! Here's the beginnings to the mapping out of the book. Very rough, I am just trying to determine the order of the book, and where to place the content that I've collected as well as content that I will be writing myself. Some of it I am still a bit unsure of, but it will clear up as I begin to put everything in its place. One thing I am a little concerned about it imagery for this book. It is meant for adults, yes, but I still feel that these pages will need some visuals! Not sure what that content will be like yet. My focus right now is on the written information and layout, not the filler pictures.




ps: forgot to add "bibliography" to the end of the book. Oops, that is definitely going to be there!

Here's a sneak peak at the beginnings of the book layout! I want to keep the middle open as a small area where tips, tricks, activity examples, or any additional tidbits will go. Now time to finish the grid and start dropping stuff in, got to stay on schedule!

No comments:

Post a Comment